Person to person contact, walking barefoot, getting an insect bite and eating raw, undercooked or contaminated food can all lead to parasitic infection. What’s worse is that often these infections go un- or misdiagnosed. There are more than 1,000 different parasites; there are tests for only 40. Not concerned yet? If you are, skip on down to the next paragraph. If you aren’t, let me describe one of the more delightful parasites: the tapeworm. Tapeworm infection is usually caused by consuming contaminated food or water. The tapeworm lives in your intestine and can cause abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea. If a more severe infection occurs, lesions on your liver, lungs and central nervous system can follow. However, most people have no recognizable symptoms and remain unaware of the tapeworm’s presence. Should that happen and the infection goes untreated, it can be life threatening. In the very rare case, you might find there is a worm in your body that, when uncoiled, is longer than you. Fun, right?
So, how can you prevent parasitic infection? The most basic answers are, of course, good nutrition and hygiene. Eat well; include fiber, fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet. Avoid undercooked fish and meats. And please, wash your hands. If you want a more active method try an internal cleanser. There are plenty of parasite cleansers available. Look for the ones with a wide variety of ingredients. The more herbs and other products in it, the more parasites targeted. Using the cleanser will not only rid your body of the parasites but give you peace of mind about what’s living inside of you. Nothing beats that.