For years I fancied myself a “Long/Frizzy Hair Guru” of sorts. As a cosmetologist, I know about the structure of hair and how to take care of it; as an employee of LuckyVitamin I have access to all of the best, natural hair care products. So, I was pretty confident I had all the answers.
Six months ago, however, I was humbled. While I was visiting a good friend of mine I mentioned to her that I was having a hard time keeping the ends of my hair hydrated and healthy. I believe my exact words to her were, “I can’t stand my hair anymore! I look like a frizzy poodle!” … but I digress.
Her response, “Here, put some Coconut Oil in your hair.”
Like it was nothing. Like she didn’t just reveal to me the best possible solution for dry, frizzy hair – a solution that is cheap, easy to use, smells great, and is a staple in my kitchen.
If your hair is frizzy, it’s dry. Period. A lot of people think frizzy is just how their hair is, and that there is very little they can do about it. Not true. The answer is hydration. If you look at many of the products on the market targeting frizzy hair, they all strive to add moisture through oils or other oil-based creams. Based on my personal experience I believe they have the general idea correct, but the delivery falls short. Let me explain…
Typically, most hair products just coat the hair cuticle and do not fully penetrate it. This prevents the hair from getting the moisture it needs. Luckily, I have been introduced to a solution, that through much experimenting, I have fine-tuned to perfection. I know you’re jealous, but really there’s no need to be. I am more than willing to share.
Hydrating Coconut Hair Mask
1. Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of Coconut Oil.
2. Rub your palms together (the heat from your hands will melt the oil)
3. Apply the oil to the ends of your hair and sparingly on your scalp and roots
4. Repeat the steps above until Coconut Oil is distributed through all of your hair
5. Allow to sit for at least 20min. Length of time may vary depending on hair type.
6. Apply a generous amount of shampoo to scalp and massage vigorously
7. Rinse and apply conditioner
**Note – You can alter the amount of Coconut Oil you depending on hair type**
So there you go! My wisdom has been bestowed to you. Let us know how it works!