Labor Day weekend is here! I am sure many of you have been planning for this weekend since the last time we had a national holiday or, at least, since Monday. You are spending your final hours of work daydreaming about your upcoming trip to the beach, barbecue, fair or 24-hour swing in the hammock. Whatever the plans, they probably involve tons of sun, a small reprieve from your diet and no work, which I fully support. But, there’s nothing worse than ending three days of relaxation with weeks of endless regret. So here are a few tips to keep your Labor Day, and post-Labor Day, healthy and happy:
- Sunscreen – No matter what the activity, it’s sure to take place outdoors, so you definitely want to remember suntan lotion. Bad sunburn is only going to make your return to work even more painful. Plus with the right sunscreen, you can protect yourself from those harmful rays that cause 90 percent of all skin cancers. If you’re not sure which bottle to grab, take a look at the Lucky Blog post “Sunscreen . . . What Are You Wearing?”
- Hydration – There is nothing more important than staying hydrated! This weekend reignite your love for water and other hydrating beverages, like sports drinks, by having at least 8 glasses a day. Avoid the liquids that will suck you dry (coffee, tea, soda, alcohol) or at least remember that they’re dehydrating you and have a glass of water in between beers.
- Food – If you’re going to a fair or spending the day at the shore, you’re likely to be tempted by the oh-so-good-smelling foods being sold at every turn. But keep in mind that the choices you make will stick around long after the funnel cake is gone. So don’t overdo it; think about what you’re eating. Limit yourself to one or two sinful dishes. And remember, the presence of fried cheesecake doesn’t mean you HAVE to have it.
- Bug spray – A setting sun doesn’t equal the end of your activities, especially when you don’t have to get up in the morning, but it does equal the presence of bugs. To avoid the bites and the itchiness that comes with, don’t forget the bug spray when you’re prepping in the morning.
- Have fun – Above all, have fun!! A holiday should be just that, a holiday. Forget about work for a few days, relax and enjoy yourself. This is your chance to get a break from stress. Take it.
|NOW Foods – Bug Ban Natural Insect Repellant – 4 oz.|
|Alba Botanica – Alba Hawaiian Natural Sunblock Green Tea 45 SPF – 4 oz.|
|California Baby – Sunscreen Summer Blend 30 SPF – 2.9 oz. OVERSTOCKED|