It’s time to buy sun protection and people may be confused between sunscreen and suntan lotion. Are they the same thing? What are the differences between these two products?
Sun protection has become more complicated than it has to be. Marketing strategies have used the words “suntan lotion” for many years, targeting people who would like to get a nice tan without getting sunburn or skin damage. However, a suntan lotion is nothing but a sunscreen with an SPF of less than 15. In other words, it’s a weak sunscreen that theoretically should help you tan more and better than if you are using a stronger sunscreen.
The majority of suntan lotions are just tanning sunscreens with an SPF between 4 and 8 and don’t provide enough sun protection, particularly for people with lighter skin and especially for kids. Since suntan lotion doesn’t provide enough sun protection, kids should only use a sunscreen or a sunblock that provides broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection instead of a suntan lotion or tanning oil.
Additionally, it gets more complicated. Some sun care products are labeled sunblocks and there are also a few differences between these and the traditional sunscreens.
Sunscreens work by filtering the sun’s rays, whereas sunblocks work as a physical sunscreen, reflecting the sun’s rays. Both sunscreens and sunblocks offer good protection against the sun, though sunblocks may be undesirable cosmetically as most of these are opaque.
Lucky Vitamin is happy to introduce another cool brand of personal care products to our customers: Mountaineer Brand.
Mountaineer Brand offers 100% natural beard care, shaving and body care products which contains nothing fancy, just real products for real people. The company uses high-quality, 100% natural ingredients without chemicals or fragrances to create a variety of beard balms, washes, oils and shaving products.
Striving to provide a luxury experience without the financial sacrifice, Mountaineer Brand is dedicated to simplicity and value and the products do not contain anything artificial, no chemicals, no fragrance, and no compromise. The packaging is also simple, skipping the decorative bottles and other unnecessary packaging.
Mountaineer Brand started in 2013 by Eric Young, who personally researches and develops his product with a passion that can be seen in his work. Meredith Young, Eric’s younger sister and business partner, shares his enthusiasm and drive to create and share something beautiful.
Mountaineer Brand was born after Eric struggled to find quality beard care products at a price that he could easily work into his already tight budget. Although it started with beard care, the company has recently begun to develop a line to include body care products. Mountaineer Brand is dedicated to bringing high-end, 100% natural products to the market at a price the average wage earner can afford.
If you’re keeping tabs on wellness trends, chances are you’ve come across cannabidiol (CBD) oil. It’s all over wellness blogs and even landing on the shelves of health stores—but what exactly does it do?
CBD oil is derived from the Cannabis Sativa plant and contains the potent health benefits of the plant minus the THC (the psychoactive part that makes you high). Researchers find CBD oil extremely useful as an anti-inflammatory and has even replaced over the counter pain relief drugs like NSAIDs for some users. It’s being used both clinically and by health conscious consumers as it proves extremely effective at promoting an overall healthy balance in our bodies.
Not sure if CBD is right for you? Here are a few of the many benefits of taking a cannabidiol supplement:
1. Relieves pain CBD oil often substitutes traditional over-the-counter pain relievers and has been said to reduce pain and discomfort from a number of health conditions. Scientists believe that when CBD interacts with receptors in your brain and immune system, it creates an anti-inflammatory effect. It has even been useful in alleviating pain from chronic conditions such as multiple sclerosis and arthritis.
2. Helps ease nausea The cannabis plant has actually been used for centureis to manage nausea and vomiting. In large doses, nausea can be a side effect of CBD, but when taken in small, therapeutic amounts it can actually help curb nausea. Researchers found that CBD indirectly activates what’s called 5-hydroxytryptamiine-1A (5-HT1A)—a very complex name for a compound that plays a major role in reducing nausea sensations. Because of this, CBD is often used to reduce queasiness and vomiting from chemotherapy treatments.
3. Can help manage seizures While more research is needed to fully understand how it works, CBD oil has been said to have anti-seizure properties. One study found that CBD may have similar effects to current drug treatments for seizures and it may even be a safe and effective treatment for patients with schizophrenia.
4. Balances and supports mental health While CBD does lack the psychoactive component (THC) of cannabis, it does have several effects on the brain that can possibly help ease anxiety. Research has shown that CBD can boost signaling through serotonin receptors, which is often the goal of mental health treatments. Evidence found in animal studies are paving the way for more CBD testing on humans to provide more effective solutions for mental health disorders.
5. Excellent for hair, skin and nails In addition to its clinical uses, CBD is an excellent beautifying oil! it contains a number of essential nutrients that are helpful in maintaining youthful skin, hair and nails, such as vitamins E and C. It’s also been said that CBD oil is helpful in treating acne by controlling inflammation, and is also great at calming irritated scalps for soft, shiny, dandruff-free hair.
6. Can improve your sleep cycle You may already associate sleepiness with THC, but CBD can help you catch some needed Zs in a different, non-psychoactive way. While it won’t make you drowsy, a therapeutic dose can help those with sleep disorders maintain a regular REM cycle by staying asleep once they’re dozing. Considering CBD oil can help you maintain a more balanced state of mind, falling asleep may prove easier while taking it as well.
How Can You Take CBD Oil?
Tinctures If you’re concerned about taste and not a fan of taking capsules, CBD oil tinctures are an enjoyable way to take the supplement. Tinctures are dropper bottles of sweetened and flavored CBD oil designed to yield all of the health benefits and make you actually want to take it!
Capsules For a more convenient way to get your dose of cannabidiol, you can purchase the supplement in capsule form. These are great for taking with you on-the-go or for adding into your daily vitamin and supplement capsule regiment.
Liquids If pills are not your style, CBD also comes in liquid form. This is a great option if you were looking to add cannabidiol into your daily smoothie or if you wanted to use it topically. Many CBD liquids come blended with other fatty acids such as MCT oil for additional benefits.
Body Care Cannabidiol is also finding its way into personal care products! There are more and more products infusing CBD into their formulas to leverage its amazing topical benefits.
No matter how you decide to take CBD (internally or topically) always be sure to test a patch of skin for allergic reactions or start with small internal doses and consult with your doctor to ensure it is a right choice for you.
Has anyone had success while using CBD Oil? Share below!
You may already be familiar with castor oil, hemp seed oil, coconut oil, red palm oil and many other oils currently on the market. However, one of the most widely used oils today with great medicinal properties is Nigella Sativa or more commonly known as black cumin. This plant is native to southern Europe, northern Africa and southwest Asia and its use can be traced all the way back to King Tut. In old Latin, it is called “panacea” which translates to “cure all.” The shrub of this plant produces fruits that have tiny black seeds that can be pressed to extract the oil. Its medicinal properties stem from the presence of thymoquinone—one of the major active chemical components of the essential oil. Thymoquinone is believed to have a wide range of medical applications and benefits we’ll discuss below. This plant has become one of the top-ranked, evidence-based herbal medicines to date, and there have been over 600 scientific, peer-reviewed articles published about black seed oil benefits.
Benefits of black seed oil to consider:
Supports liver health and helps protect the liver
May have anti-cancer properties
Contains protein, carbohydrates, fiber, minerals like copper, phosphorus, zinc and iron as well as both fixed oils (fatty acids) and volatile oils
May help treat a variety of common health conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, bronchitis and asthma
May be helpful in treating against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)
It may help increase milk production in nursing mothers
May act as an appetite stimulant
May help to boost the immune system
Rich Source of Essential Fatty Acids
What to look for when choosing a black seed oil
Extraction: the method by which the oil is expressed or extracted from the seeds matters! Slow, cold-pressed means that no heat is used during the extraction process. High temperatures may cause rancidity or cause some of the more volatile oils to evaporate. Avoid any oils that use chemical extraction.
Purity: the product should be 100% pure Nigella Sativa oil and not filled with additives.
Storage: look for oil that is stored in a dark, glass bottle that will protect it from both air and light.
Quality: Look for unrefined vs. refined oil and make sure it’s organic!
Other important tips about black seed oil
Make sure to store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
It can be used as a spice or preservative! In fact, the seeds have been added to many Persian foods including bread, pickles, sauces and salads.
Do not confuse it with black cohosh, cumin, curcumin or nutmeg.
Supplements made from black seeds are usually made up of the basic seed extract in either a crushed powder or oil form.
Homemade black cumin seed salad dressing:
½ cup black seed oil
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp raw honey
2 fresh chopped garlic cloves
½ tsp. Ginger root
Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions: Combine all the ingredients in a mason jar with a lid and mix/shake until blended together.
Apple cider vinegar has been a fountain of health benefits for quite some time now. Loaded with acetic acid, potassium, magnesium, probiotics, enzymes and polyphenols, apple cider vinegar is known to help weight-loss but it can also help with so much more. Let’s look a 5 benefits of apple cider vinegar.
1. Support Weight Loss and Metabolism
The number one health benefit from apple cider vinegar continues to be weight loss. Researchers have concluded that consuming apple cider vinegar could promote weight loss by reducing sugar cravings, improving detoxification, and reducing body fat up to 10%.
2. Regulates Blood Sugar Levels
Apple cider vinegar can help lower blood sugar levels and fight type 2 diabetes, characterized by elevated blood sugars, either in the context of insulin resistance or an inability to produce insulin. When avoiding refined carbs and sugar, apple cider vinegar may have a powerful positive effect on regulating blood sugar levels.
3. Detox Your Body
Used by many detox products, unfiltered apple cider vinegar is a liver and lymphatic tonic which can help detox your body. It helps balance your body’s pH and stimulates cardiovascular stimulation, bowel motility and lymphatic drainage.
4. Kills Bacteria
Acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar has the ability to kill pathogens, including bacteria and, at the same time, foster the growth of beneficial bacteria. Because acetic acid kills unwanted bacteria when it comes into contact with it, it essentially acts as a natural antibiotic.
5. Digestive Support
Apple cider vinegar is known to reduce bloating. Vinegar increases the acidity in the stomach, which allows it to digest the food you’ve eaten and helps propel it into the small intestine.
The health benefits of coffee are sometimes minimized or taken away because of the amount of sugar and cream people add on their cup of Joe. Have you wondered if you could find a product that would give that extra flavor to your morning coffee and, at the same time, provide more benefits instead of erasing the ones from coffee?
A non-dairy, GMO-free, gluten-free, vegan alternative to traditional creamers, Laird Superfood Creamer is a tasty, nutrient-dense beverage booster that will transform your morning habit into an important part of a healthy diet.
Instead of butter, Laird’s powdered creamer is a mix of healthy oils, coconut milk, coconut nectar and Aquamin, nature’s best source of calcium. The company creates non-dairy, vegan-friendly creamers and coffee designed for performance. Created by World renowned big-wave surfer, fitness guru, coffee connoisseur Laird Hamilton, this unique product can help you reach razor-sharp focus, untapped energy, and exceptional endurance. These products provide the minerals and nutrients you need to sustain your energy and improve your performance.
Laird was inspired by the Ketogenic Diet, which recognizes the need for healthy fats. Laird Superfood is the only coffee company using food-grade nitrogen packaging system that fully remove 100% of the oxygen, where everyone else leaves 3.5% o2 in the bag which still will age the coffee rapidly.
Whole foods, healthy fats and limited carbs and sugars—it’s easy to see the appeal in going Paleo! Shifting your focus to real, unprocessed food is great, but when the time comes to actually restock the fridge it can be difficult to know where to start. What are the best foods to buy? What foods should you not buy? Is there any way to do this on a budget?
We’ve provided a quick breakdown of Paleo-approved foods to help you plan your next grocery trip. Not all the foods on this list are required to go paleo, but many are excellent staples to always have on hand or in the freezer!
The Paleo Rundown:
Say YES to:
– Lean Meats, preferably grass-fed!
– Eggs are approved!
– Vegetables are incredibly important
– Work in some fruit, but keep it light.
– Nuts – except peanuts! They’re classified as legumes
– Unrefined, natural oils like olive, coconut & avocado
Say NO to:
– Sugars, candy and artificial sweeteners
– Starchy veggies like potatoes & corn
– Legumes (peas, beans, lentils, soy, etc.)
– Processed foods & meats (such as hot dogs or spam)
– Grains (cereal, bread, oatmeal, etc.)
– Dairy (cheese, butter, milk, etc.)
The Paleo Shopping List:
__ Coconut oil
__ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
__ Coconut Milk
__ Coconut Flour
__ Almond Meal
__ Dried Fruits
__ Variety of Nuts & Seeds
__ Bone Broth
__ Coffee or Tea
1. Get thoughtful about your grocery list
Walking into a grocery store without a plan can be overwhelming and will make it difficult to successfully stick to the diet. Spend a little extra time planning your week and create a shopping list accordingly. Highlight the essential foods your family eats daily and make sure you’re always stocked. This will also prevent picking up excess items you may not need.
2. Buy in bulk
Try buying the staple foods in bulk—such as the meats and veggies your family likes and eats regularly. Buying in bulk ensures there is always something to thaw out for dinner, and you will often save money in the long run too! Check in with your local farmer, as many sell their meat and produce in large quantities.
3. Meal prep & freeze!
It’s very difficult to grab food on-the-go and stay paleo-friendly. Spend some time on the weekend thinking ahead and cooking up meals for the week. Even if it’s just what you’ll take to work for lunch, it will take the pressure off of breakfast and dinner and save you time. Buying in bulk with a planned and good shopping list will help you at the meal-prepping stage as well!
4. Focus on quality While buying in bulk is a great way to save money and time on the paleo diet, make sure you’re stocking up on high-quality foods. This means aiming for organic veggies when possible and making sure all meat, fish and eggs are unprocessed and preferably free-range and grass-fed.
While the Paleo Diet is incredibly popular and many people have experienced great health benefits, ALWAYS check with your physician before making any major dietary changes!
The secret to paleo is planning and smart shopping. If you’re a seasoned paleo veteran, what are some of your tips for success? Let’s talk about it in the comments below! 🙂
Did you know you can save money on your electric bill, extend the life of your clothes and significantly reduce your carbon footprint just by switching up your laundry routine? Saving energy and saving water are two of the best ways to go green—and laundry draws from both of those sources! Below are some simple changes you can make to green up your laundry routine.
1. Hang clothes to air dry Clothes dryers consume so much energy that they should only be used in extreme cases. Use an outdoor line to hang-dry your clothes if the weather is nice or a clothes’ rack for rainy days or if you prefer to air dry your clothes indoors. This simple and efficient method can significantly help you save energy and minimize carbon emissions. Plus, it saves your clothes from the high heat of dryers, which often reduce the lifespan of clothes.
2. Use cold water cycles You don’t need to wash your clothes in hot water and you can save a ton of energy simply by washing with cold water. Around 90% of the energy a washing machine uses is spent heating the water, which isn’t necessary for the majority of your laundry. Changing the temperature can save you energy and money and your clothes will still get just as clean!
3. Invest in green washing machines Energy Star washing machines are the way to go as they use about 40% less energy and 50% less water than non-rated models. If you don’t need to buy a new machine just now, keep this in mind when the time comes and enjoy the long-term savings of an Energy Star model.
4. Switch to eco-friendly laundry detergents One of the most important aspects of greener laundry is using eco-friendly detergents. Conventional products use harsh chemicals that linger on your clothes and drain into your local watershed. Switch to natural laundry detergent that uses plant-based ingredients. It’s just as efficient and is healthier for your family and the environment!
5. Hand wash whenever possible Removing stains isn’t easy. Fortunately, a good number of them can be removed by hand washing and using natural soap instead of products containing strong chemicals. This simple change has a significant impact—as most conventional, stain-removing products contain harmful ingredients for the environment.
Incorporating these simple switches will make a HUGE difference for your clothes and your utility bills. Has anyone gone green with their routine already? Let us know your tips in the comments!
Lucky Vitamin already has an incredible selections of vitamins and supplements but that doesn’t mean we should stop adding top-quality brands. The latest addition offers high-quality vitamins and supplements that are 100% Non-GMO and free of gluten, dairy, preservatives, and artificial flavors: Sundown Naturals.
Sundown Naturals strives to make maintaining a healthy and balanced diet convenient and accessible. The company has been making high quality vitamins and supplements for over 40 years. What began as a small mail-order business in a Florida home, has grown into a company capable of delivering a wide variety of health-related products all over the world.
Sundown Naturals’ philosophy is simple: life is about balance. Finding the right balance of exercise, rest, work, play and nutrition isn’t always easy and Sundown Naturals products are the perfect complement to your healthy diet and active lifestyle. While no one can make healthy choices 100% of the time, you can rest assured that Sundown Naturals can support you through every step of your journey.
Knowing that consumers are looking to avoid GMOs (genetically modified organisms), Sundown Naturals is proud to say that all vitamins and supplements are 100% Non-GMO, sourcing ingredients and use materials inherently free from GMOs. Sundown Naturals ensures high standards of quality with manufacturing facilities staffed by top researchers, dedicated nutritionists, and skilled associates. In addition to a rigorous in–process quality control, the production facilities are independently audited by UL-Registrar LLC, a leading provider of quality assurance audits throughout the production process to help ensure product quality and safety.
There are few joys in life that are comparable with providing a safe and loving environment for a homeless or unwanted animal. Local and national agencies like the ASPCA and petfinder.com are great resources for locating shelters that can help match you with your ideal companion. And don’t forget — by saving their life, you’re also greatly improving yours, too. Here’s a few ways how…
1. Blood Pressure
Research from SUNY has shown that the stress responses of dog and cat owners who’ve been prescribed blood pressure medication is roughly half that of non-pet owners.
2. Anxiety This is a no-brainer. It’s widely accepted that our cute and cuddly companions can help alleviate depression, anxiety and other mood issues. The simple act of touching or petting an animal has proven therapeutic qualities and is a simple and enjoyable way to lift your spirits (and theirs!).
3. Heart Health Australian National Heart Foundation revealed that people who own pets, especially men, tend to have lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Also, devoting daily quality “outside time” with your pet is another easy way to build up cardiovascular health
4. Reduce Allergy Risk Forget the Claritin – owning and being exposed to pets at a young age is one of the greatest factors in helping live an allergy-free life. In research conducted on young adults, those who had a pet in their home during infancy were approximately 50% less likely to develop an allergic reaction to animals.
Fructose is a type of sugar naturally found in many fruits, vegetables and honey. Fructose is also found in high-fructose corn syrup, a cheap liquid sweetener derived from corn starch. High-fructose corn syrup is used in thousands of different food products, including desserts, soda, bread, sauces, and other packaged goods.
According to the Department of Agriculture, the average American consumed approximately 27 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup in 2014. Furthermore, The American Heart Association estimates that the average American consumes double, or triple, the recommended amount of sugar each day.
The Negative Side Effects of Fructose:
Eating too much fructose can have extremely negative side effects on the body. It can lead to diabetes and heart disease, and can increase cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels.
To make matters worse, fructose can also negatively impact the brain. A team of researchers at UCLA discovered that high fructose levels can damage the communication between brain cells and increase the amount of toxic molecules in the brain. This can lead to memory loss and make it hard for us to learn information. It can also lead to a number of conditions, including Parkinson’s disease, bipolar disorder and depression.
The Positive Side Effects of DHA:
Because fructose, particularly high-fructose corn syrup, is so prevalent in the foods we eat, it can be hard (even for the most health-conscious consumer) to properly regulate their fructose levels. However, it’s not all bad news. The same study, conducted by researchers at UCLA, found that the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) can help eliminate the harmful side effects of fructose.
DHA is a type of omega-3 typically found in fatty fish and more recently in algae (you can check out a high in DHA algae omega-3 supplement here). DHA is an essential nutrient that makes up nearly half of the fatty acids in the brain. DHA strengthens the synapses in the brain, improves memory and cognitive functioning, and helps support eye and skin health.
The Effects of DHA on Fructose:
The team at UCLA tested the effects of DHA on fructose using rats. First, they trained rats to escape from a maze. Then, they separated the rats into three groups. The first group of rats was given water mixed with fructose (the equivalent of about one liter of soda). The second group was given the same water and fructose mixture, but also fed a diet rich in DHA. The third group was given plain water without fructose or DHA. After six weeks, the researchers watched the rats try and escape from the same maze.
The rats that had been given water mixed with fructose completed the maze at about half the speed as the rats that were given only water, proving that the fructose had impacted their memory.
However, the group that was given water mixed with fructose and a diet rich in DHA completed the maze at the same speed as the group that was given only water – evidence that the DHA eliminated the negative side effects of the fructose.
Lesson learned: to avoid becoming like these fructose-loving and forgetful rats, make sure you’re getting enough DHA each day. Taking a DHA supplement, like this one, will help combat the harmful side effects of sugar and keep your brain healthy.
Sunny days have arrived marking the beginning of vitamin D season. As people start spending more time outdoors, vitamin D production increases and people can enjoy all the health benefits this important vitamin has to offer.
Vitamin D promotes healthy bones, largely by increasing the absorption of calcium, and can reduce the risk of osteoporosis. It can also prevent type 1 diabetes, improve heart health, reduce muscle and bone pain, and even help prevent serious issues such as cancer.
The sun and supplements are the most common sources for vitamin D as food does not contain much of it, except for fortified products such as milk, dairy products and breakfast cereals. The sun is the most natural way to obtain vitamin D and it’s impossible to overdose D intake from sunlight as the body regulates production, stopping when reaching healthy levels. However, the sun can be dangerous if you are overexposed to its rays, but in limited quantities, it’s a great way to get your daily dose of vitamin D.
You may be in the sun for 5 to 30 minutes between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. at least twice a week without sunscreen, making sure to expose your skin to the sun. Some factors should be considered as they may significantly reduce D production. Cloud coverage, pollution, and your location (distance from the equator) can all affect how much vitamin D your skin can produce under sunlight.
If you are unable to get sun on a daily basis, vitamin D supplements are the way to go. Vitamin D3 cholecalciferol is highly recommended over than ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as recent research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that vitamin D2 is less potent than vitamin D3.
Perhaps the best way to obtain vitamin D is alternating sun exposure, whenever possible and without risking sun burns, with vitamin D supplements, the best option for rainy days, people with busy schedules or sensitive skin.
Lucky Vitamin has added an innovative and super cool brand that can help you grow your own avocados: AvoSeedo.
AvoSeedo is a revolutionary product that is simply the perfect tool to grow avocado trees at home. This small plastic bowl features an indentation with a hole in it. A single avocado seed can be inserted with the flat-end facing down. Afterwards, AvoSeedo can be placed in a sufficiently large, water-filled pot. Due to its low weight and high displacement, it will remain at the surface all the time and, as the water level lowers, AvoSeedo will sink accordingly.
With AvoSeedo, you can significantly raise the success rate when it comes to avocado germination. Without any risk, you can decrease the watering intervals drastically. Only from time to time you will have to check the water level of the pot containing AvoSeedo plus avocado seed. Compared to the original toothpick method, there’s another advantage: the avocado seed doesn’t need to be perforated, reducing the risk of damage and thus, failed germination efforts.
AvoSeedo is simple, easy to use, and the demanding germination period can now be mastered with almost no effort, giving your new trees an edge right from the beginning.
New research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has shown that people with metabolic syndrome, a condition that’s often related to obesity, need significantly more vitamin E.
This syndrome is defined by diagnosis of several conditions, including abdominal obesity, elevated lipids, high blood pressure, pro-inflammatory state, a pro-thrombotic state and insulin resistance or impaired glucose tolerance.
An estimated 92 percent of men and 96 percent of women in the United States fail to get an adequate daily intake of vitamin E in their diet and is no surprise that more than 30 percent of the American public are obese, and more than 25 percent of the adults in the United States meet the criteria for metabolic syndrome, putting them at significantly increased risk for cardiovascular disease and type-2 diabetes.
Some good dietary sources of vitamin E include almonds, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, spinach, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, nuts and whole grains. However, vitamin E is one of the more difficult micronutrients to obtain by dietary means and supplements are still the best way to get higher quantities.
A powerful, fat-soluble antioxidant important for cell protection, vitamin E affects gene expression, immune function, aids in repair of wounds and the damage of atherosclerosis. Additionally, E is important for vision and neurologic function and can rejuvenate your health as well as beauty as it’s known to improve hair and skin. Vitamin E boosts the production of collagen that adds elasticity to your skin, and is helpful to minimize wrinkles, age spots and other signs of aging. Vitamin E has the power to reverse the damage done by harmful solar radiation and the free radicals in our environment.