It is one of the most dreaded times for parents; the moment when their baby turns 4 months old and he or she starts to put everything in its mouth. Pretty soon they know their child is going to get its first tooth which means their precious little angel can turn from a happy go lucky infant into a cranky screaming nightmare. Once this happens the long process of teething has officially started and it can take up to 3 years for children to get a full set of 20 teeth. You may notice all or a few of the following symptoms associated with the teething process; drooling which can lead to a rash, swelling/bulging of the gums, irritability or fussiness, biting behaviors, low grade fevers, refusal of food and sleep problems. Although this sounds bad there are a lot helpful tips that can get you through the teething process.
First off remember cold is your friend. Cold applications will help to reduce inflammation of the gums and can also provide a numbing affect that will soothe the pain. You can use multiple products like a cold washcloth and apply that to the cheek of the baby or the inside of its mouth. You can also rub an ice cube along the gum line to help. Products like teething keys, teething massager, and other frozen cold pack toys are great products for kids to chew on that assist in massaging and soothing the sore gums.
Cold isn’t the only thing that works to soothe those painful gums. Homeopathic remedies can also assist you throughout the teething process. Below are some common Homeopathic remedies for teething which include:
1) Chamomilla – The most common teething remedy used by parents and practitioners and is the first medicine to consider unless there is a more obvious remedy. The chamomilla baby is extremely irritable and impatient. They tend to be in great pain and aggravated by being touched and nothing seems to give them relief except for rocking and being carried (although this may only provide temporarily relief). The child may ask for something and then refuse it when it is offered. One cheek is often hot and red. They have difficulty sleeping and will usually keep the parents up at night too. Chamomilla babies often have green stools that smell like rotten eggs. If this remedy does not work consider belladonna.
2) Belladonna – The belladonna baby experiences great pain that makes them restless and may lead to them kicking, screaming or biting. They tend to have very red gums and lips and may even twitch. These babies can also have a fever and cheeks that are both red.
3) Calcarea Carb: This infant begins teething late (after 12 months). The head usually perspires so much that it soaks the pillow sheet at night and the child may also grind its teeth. Sweat, stools and vomit will also have a sour smell. This child may also have cold damp feet and crave eggs.
4) Pulsatilla – The pulsatilla child is sweet, clingy, cuddly and demanding of attention. When the pulsatilla child begins teething they tend to be very clingy, whiny, weepy and will want to be carried. Pulsatilla is better in open air and better from cold applications.
5) Calcarea phos. – Is another remedy to consider if the teething process is delayed. The calc. phos. child is usually thin, and much about this remedy is delayed. The child may be delayed in learning to walk and talk and the fontanels may even be delayed in closing. They are prone to diarrhea with much gas during the teething.
LuckyVitamin Also carries other teething formulas that can be useful to get you through this difficult time.