If you are looking for a new superfood to add to your diet, look no further. Meet Maca powder, your new superfood staple
. Originally from the Andes Mountains of Peru, Maca is a vegetable related to radishes and turnips that contains high levels of protein, fat and minerals. Maca can be eaten baked, dried, or mixed with vegetables, and its popular powder version can be used for delicious and refreshing maca shakes. Let’s look at what makes maca powder a very special superfood
- Maca is it a natural source of healing nutrition. Loaded with nutrients, maca has a higher calcium level than milk and is very nutrient dense. Maca root powder is comprised of approximately 18% protein, 75% carbohydrates, and 5% fiber. It has over 20 amino acids, including 8 essential amino acids and a rich source of phytonutrients. Maca also contains 20 free-form fatty acids (such as lauric, linolenic, palmitic acid, oleic, and steric acid), vitamins B-1, B-2, C and E, and a variety of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, zinc, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sulphur, sodium, and iron.
- With so many nutrients, it’s no surprise maca offers a lot of health benefits. Maca has a positive effect on hormone balance as well as energy levels and it can also help to enhance the immune system, stamina, memory and focus.
- Maca flavor is another highlight as this pleasant tasting root is usually available in powder form after being harvested and grounded down. Maca has an earthy taste with a nutty flavor, making it a perfect complement to smoothies. Like the rest of the roots in the cruciferous family, it’s low in calories as one teaspoon of maca powder has only 10 calories.
- Versatility is another good word to describe maca. Considered an “adaptogen”, a name given to certain herbs and plants that help the body naturally adapt to stressors like a busy schedule, illness, or stressful situations, maca has been considered a very potent aphrodisiac with the ability to increase sex drive and improve fertility, increasing semen volume and sperm counts. Consuming maca often makes people feel more energetic, and help them to restore proper hormone balance and elevate “feel good” endorphins.
- An excellent choice for smoothies and shakes, maca beverages can taste really good. Check out this easy-to-make Green Maca Shake recipe.
- ¼ cup of milk
- ½ cup of homemade plain yogurt
- 1 tsp of maca root powder
- 1 scoop hydrolyzed collagen
- 2 tbsp. of peanut butter
- 1 banana
Just add all the ingredients to the blender (add a little ice if desired) and enjoy!
These days, everyone is on the hunt for antioxidant-rich, nutrient-packed superfoods—and it’s no surprise why! Purchasing food with the most benefits is not only great for your health but also ensures the most bang for your buck. Acai berries are increasing in popularity—you’ve probably seen vibrant, Instagram-worthy acai bowls all over social media—but are they worth the hype? While new and trendy in American culture, these berries have been used for their medicinal properties in Central and South America for centuries. Let’s explore some of the properties of acai and how you can reap all of their sweet, juicy benefits.
1. Antioxidants, antioxidants, antioxidants…
Acai’s best quality is its amazing antioxidant content. While a lot of berries contain high levels, none quite pack the free-radical fighting punch of acai. According to a study done by the Natural Standard Research Collaboration (NSRC), acai has one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits in the world. Because of this, acai has powerful healing properties that earned them the superfood title. Adding Acai berries to your diet will help boost your body’s ability to fight free radicals, helping to prevent cancer and other diseases.
2. Skin health & anti-aging effects
Another amazing result of Acai’s high antioxidant content is its effect on the skin. It can help slow down the aging process caused by oxidative damage to the cells. It also increases the regrowth and regeneration processes in the body due to ample amounts of vitamin C and Iron and can help skin stay firm and youthful due to its fatty acids content.
3. Healthy digestion
If you’re in the process of switching over to a healthier diet, incorporating acai into your new routine can help cleanse the body of toxins collected from unhealthy eating habits. Like other berries, they’re a great source of fiber which helps keep the digestive system functioning properly.
4. Immune system booster
Due to its high vitamin C content, Acai berries are helpful at boosting your immune system. Their phytochemicals and antioxidants help increase the functionality of immune cells, making it easier to fight infections and ward off free radical damage.
5. Energizing effects
Acai berries can help increase the body’s energy levels and stamina. They contain amino acids which are incredibly helpful in boosting energy, as well as other properties that help improve cognitive function and focus—reducing fatigue and brain fog.
The best way to get acai…?
I’m all about the acai bowl craze. Not only do they taste as amazing as they look, but they’re an easy, versatile way to work the beneficial berries into your diet. I opt for the dried powder acai, but frozen works just as well!
Energizing Acai Bowl Recipe
1 tbsp acai powder
1 cup spinach or kale (or another leafy green you prefer)
1 serving of plant protein (This one is my favorite)
1 dash vanilla extract
3-4 drops of stevia if you like extra sweetness
1/2 cup frozen strawberries (optional, adds a bit more flavor)
Assorted fruits, nuts & seeds for toppings (i.e bananas, strawberries, blueberries, almonds etc)
Add all ingredients together and blend away! The mixture should be thick enough so that you can eat it with a spoon. Pour into a bowl and top with whatever you like. I like to keep my sugar intake low, so my go-to toppings are chia seeds, hemp seeds, and sliced almonds, but many people add additional fruits like bananas & blueberries. It’s highly customizable to your nutrition needs!
Have you tried acai berries and experienced the benefits? What are your favorite ways to eat them? Let us know below!
Over the last couple of decades, the Mediterranean diet has been studied by researchers all over the world. The general consensus from these studies revealed that the diet is nothing short of amazing. The Mediterranean diet consists of increasing your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, whole grains and fish, while limiting red meat and sweets. So, why has this diet become so popular? Maybe because it’s flexible and offers users ease of compliance. Maybe it’s because Mediterranean food is delicious and the diet allows users to drink red wine in moderation. Or, maybe it’s because all of the research over the past couple of decades shows an incredible amount of health benefits. One meta-analysis article showed that greater adherence to a Mediterranean diet was associated with significant improvement in overall health status.
Benefits of a Mediterranean diet to consider:
- Prevention of major chronic diseases
- Improved quality of life
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke and obesity
- Reduced risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and cancer
- Low in processed foods and sugar
- May help to lose or maintain a healthier weight
- May improve mood and decrease depression
- Naturally low-glycemic foods, which may help control blood sugar
Key components of the Mediterranean diet
Base every meal on these foods and eat them daily:
- Legumes and Beans: chickpeas, lentils, and fava beans
- Olives and Olive Oil: extra virgin olive oil is preferred
- Whole grains and whole wheat pasta
- Nuts: cashews, almonds and sesame seeds
- Vegetables such as leafy greens, garlic, onion and other non-starchy veggies like eggplant cauliflower, artichokes and tomatoes
- Fresh organic fruits such as grapes, apples, strawberries and avocados
Eat these at least two times per week:
- Fish (wild caught preferred) and seafood
In moderate portions (daily to weekly):
- Low-fat cheese & yogurt
Eat these a few times per month in small amounts:
Organic Mediterranean bean salad recipe
◦ 15 ounce can of dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
◦ 15 ounce can of fava beans drained and rinsed
◦ 15 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
◦ 1 cup of organic corn
◦ 1 large organic tomato, chopped
◦ 1 small organic red onion, chopped
◦ 1 avocado, sliced
◦ ½ organic cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped.
◦ 1 cup of organic parsley, chopped.
◦ ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
◦ 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
◦ 2 garlic cloves, minced
◦ ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
◦ ½ teaspoon of cumin
◦ salt and pepper to taste.
- In large mixing bowl, combine kidney beans, fava beans, black beans, corn, tomato, onion, cucumber and parsley. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, apple cider vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper and whisk.
- Pour dressing over salad and gently toss together.
Other helpful information:
- On top of diet, the Mediterranean lifestyle encourages individuals to be physically active and enjoy meals in a relaxing environment with others vs. on the go. Try to set aside time to sit down and enjoy your meals.
- Most of the foods found in the Mediterranean diet can be found on the perimeter of the grocery store.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that vary in choice of colors as each color has specific properties and nutrients.
- Replace butter and margarine with healthy, unrefined oils as often as possible.
- The Mediterranean diet has broad definitions since there are many countries around the Mediterranean Sea.
- In summary, the diet should focus on vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, legumes and whole grains. Enjoy fresh, wild caught fish and seafood, while limiting poultry, eggs and cheese. Rarely eat red meat and avoid sugar.
If you’re trying to avoid excess sugar, that doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice sweet treats! Xylitol is a wonderful, all-natural sugar substitute with a number of health benefits. It’s metabolized without insulin, giving it a low glycemic index and can even help promote healthy dental hygiene.
This recipe uses xylitol instead of sugar and makes about 2 dozen small cookies.
You will need:
1 large egg
1 cup Xylo-Sweet
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup creamy, natural peanut butter
1 tsp. water
1/3 cup chopped peanuts or these sugar-free chocolate chips* (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric beater to mix the egg, Xylo-Sweet, baking powder and vanilla for about a minute. Then add in the peanut butter and water mix them together. *Note: the mixture is fairly dry. Be sure the peanut butter is mixed well with the other ingredients.
- Add peanuts or chocolate chips if using and blend into dough.
- Use a large non-stick cookie sheet. Measure out a heaping teaspoon of batter for each cookie, roll into a ball, and then smash down with a fork.
- Bake 15 minutes, or slightly longer, until cookies feel firm and are slightly browned.
This is a quick and easy recipe when you’re in need of that sweet fix. If baking isn’t your forte, try these amazing low-sugar, gluten-free, dairy free cookies from Simple Mills.
What are some of your favorite, low-sugar recipes?
*recipe sourced from Kalyn’s Kitchen.
Whether you’re packing for a hike or in need of snacks to power through the work day, these no-bake energy bites are incredibly easy and take minutes to make! They’re a delicious, healthy alternative to sugary granola bars.
Ingredients (makes about 20 bites)
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup almond butter (or peanut butter!)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup raw honey
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
*Optional: Dried cranberries, cherries or other fruits
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Roll out teaspoon sized balls and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Pop them in the freezer for about an hour until they set. Enjoy as you wish, and store the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer. You can customize these based on your favorite flavors or nutritional needs with dried fruits, raisins, chia seeds, etc! In addition to a healthy snack while on the move, these bites are great for curbing sweet cravings!
What are some of your favorite snack recipes? Share below!
If you’re keeping tabs on wellness trends, chances are you’ve come across cannabidiol (CBD) oil. It’s all over wellness blogs and even landing on the shelves of health stores—but what exactly does it do?
CBD oil is derived from the Cannabis Sativa plant and contains the potent health benefits of the plant minus the THC (the psychoactive part that makes you high). Researchers find CBD oil extremely useful as an anti-inflammatory and has even replaced over the counter pain relief drugs like NSAIDs for some users. It’s being used both clinically and by health conscious consumers as it proves extremely effective at promoting an overall healthy balance in our bodies.
Not sure if CBD is right for you? Here are a few of the many benefits of taking a cannabidiol supplement:
1. Relieves pain
CBD oil often substitutes traditional over-the-counter pain relievers and has been said to reduce pain and discomfort from a number of health conditions. Scientists believe that when CBD interacts with receptors in your brain and immune system, it creates an anti-inflammatory effect. It has even been useful in alleviating pain from chronic conditions such as multiple sclerosis and arthritis.
2. Helps ease nausea
The cannabis plant has actually been used for centureis to manage nausea and vomiting. In large doses, nausea can be a side effect of CBD, but when taken in small, therapeutic amounts it can actually help curb nausea. Researchers found that CBD indirectly activates what’s called 5-hydroxytryptamiine-1A (5-HT1A)—a very complex name for a compound that plays a major role in reducing nausea sensations. Because of this, CBD is often used to reduce queasiness and vomiting from chemotherapy treatments.
3. Can help manage seizures
While more research is needed to fully understand how it works, CBD oil has been said to have anti-seizure properties. One study found that CBD may have similar effects to current drug treatments for seizures and it may even be a safe and effective treatment for patients with schizophrenia.
4. Balances and supports mental health
While CBD does lack the psychoactive component (THC) of cannabis, it does have several effects on the brain that can possibly help ease anxiety. Research has shown that CBD can boost signaling through serotonin receptors, which is often the goal of mental health treatments. Evidence found in animal studies are paving the way for more CBD testing on humans to provide more effective solutions for mental health disorders.
5. Excellent for hair, skin and nails
In addition to its clinical uses, CBD is an excellent beautifying oil! it contains a number of essential nutrients that are helpful in maintaining youthful skin, hair and nails, such as vitamins E and C. It’s also been said that CBD oil is helpful in treating acne by controlling inflammation, and is also great at calming irritated scalps for soft, shiny, dandruff-free hair.
6. Can improve your sleep cycle
You may already associate sleepiness with THC, but CBD can help you catch some needed Zs in a different, non-psychoactive way. While it won’t make you drowsy, a therapeutic dose can help those with sleep disorders maintain a regular REM cycle by staying asleep once they’re dozing. Considering CBD oil can help you maintain a more balanced state of mind, falling asleep may prove easier while taking it as well.
How Can You Take CBD Oil?
If you’re concerned about taste and not a fan of taking capsules, CBD oil tinctures are an enjoyable way to take the supplement. Tinctures are dropper bottles of sweetened and flavored CBD oil designed to yield all of the health benefits and make you actually want to take it!
For a more convenient way to get your dose of cannabidiol, you can purchase the supplement in capsule form. These are great for taking with you on-the-go or for adding into your daily vitamin and supplement capsule regiment.
If pills are not your style, CBD also comes in liquid form. This is a great option if you were looking to add cannabidiol into your daily smoothie or if you wanted to use it topically. Many CBD liquids come blended with other fatty acids such as MCT oil for additional benefits.
Cannabidiol is also finding its way into personal care products! There are more and more products infusing CBD into their formulas to leverage its amazing topical benefits.
No matter how you decide to take CBD (internally or topically) always be sure to test a patch of skin for allergic reactions or start with small internal doses and consult with your doctor to ensure it is a right choice for you.
Has anyone had success while using CBD Oil? Share below!
You may already be familiar with castor oil, hemp seed oil, coconut oil, red palm oil and many other oils currently on the market. However, one of the most widely used oils today with great medicinal properties is Nigella Sativa or more commonly known as black cumin. This plant is native to southern Europe, northern Africa and southwest Asia and its use can be traced all the way back to King Tut. In old Latin, it is called “panacea” which translates to “cure all.” The shrub of this plant produces fruits that have tiny black seeds that can be pressed to extract the oil. Its medicinal properties stem from the presence of thymoquinone—one of the major active chemical components of the essential oil. Thymoquinone is believed to have a wide range of medical applications and benefits we’ll discuss below. This plant has become one of the top-ranked, evidence-based herbal medicines to date, and there have been over 600 scientific, peer-reviewed articles published about black seed oil benefits.
Benefits of black seed oil to consider:
- Supports liver health and helps protect the liver
- May have anti-cancer properties
- Contains protein, carbohydrates, fiber, minerals like copper, phosphorus, zinc and iron as well as both fixed oils (fatty acids) and volatile oils
- May help treat a variety of common health conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, bronchitis and asthma
- May be helpful in treating against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)
- It may help increase milk production in nursing mothers
- May act as an appetite stimulant
- May help to boost the immune system
- Rich Source of Essential Fatty Acids
What to look for when choosing a black seed oil
- Extraction: the method by which the oil is expressed or extracted from the seeds matters! Slow, cold-pressed means that no heat is used during the extraction process. High temperatures may cause rancidity or cause some of the more volatile oils to evaporate. Avoid any oils that use chemical extraction.
- Purity: the product should be 100% pure Nigella Sativa oil and not filled with additives.
- Storage: look for oil that is stored in a dark, glass bottle that will protect it from both air and light.
- Quality: Look for unrefined vs. refined oil and make sure it’s organic!
Other important tips about black seed oil
- Make sure to store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
- It can be used as a spice or preservative! In fact, the seeds have been added to many Persian foods including bread, pickles, sauces and salads.
- Do not confuse it with black cohosh, cumin, curcumin or nutmeg.
- Supplements made from black seeds are usually made up of the basic seed extract in either a crushed powder or oil form.
Homemade black cumin seed salad dressing:
- ½ cup black seed oil
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 fresh chopped garlic cloves
- ½ tsp. Ginger root
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Instructions: Combine all the ingredients in a mason jar with a lid and mix/shake until blended together.
The health benefits of coffee are sometimes minimized or taken away because of the amount of sugar and cream people add on their cup of Joe. Have you wondered if you could find a product that would give that extra flavor to your morning coffee and, at the same time, provide more benefits instead of erasing the ones from coffee?
Laird Superfood Creamer may be the product you’ve been looking for.
A non-dairy, GMO-free, gluten-free, vegan alternative to traditional creamers, Laird Superfood Creamer is a tasty, nutrient-dense beverage booster that will transform your morning habit into an important part of a healthy diet.
Instead of butter, Laird’s powdered creamer is a mix of healthy oils, coconut milk, coconut nectar and Aquamin, nature’s best source of calcium. The company creates non-dairy, vegan-friendly creamers and coffee designed for performance. Created by World renowned big-wave surfer, fitness guru, coffee connoisseur Laird Hamilton, this unique product can help you reach razor-sharp focus, untapped energy, and exceptional endurance. These products provide the minerals and nutrients you need to sustain your energy and improve your performance.
Laird was inspired by the Ketogenic Diet, which recognizes the need for healthy fats. Laird Superfood is the only coffee company using food-grade nitrogen packaging system that fully remove 100% of the oxygen, where everyone else leaves 3.5% o2 in the bag which still will age the coffee rapidly.
You can save even more when you shop Laird Superfoods supplements at LuckyVitamin.com. No code needed at checkout to save an extra 15% on all items of this new brand as savings are automatically applied.
Filed Under: Health Foods
at 12:01 am | By: Mauricio Matusiak, Senior Editor
Lucky Vitamin is introducing another premium brand of health food products to our customers: Zuvii.
Zuvii offers the highest quality certified products with outstanding service to customers and partners. The company uses only the best sourced ingredients from around the world, carefully developed for a taste of perfection by a special team of deeply responsible individuals who continuously strive to improve and perform at the highest level, and the end result is a superior line of products that can deliver ultimate nutrition.
Zuvii uses resistant starch, a type of starch that is not digested in the stomach or small intestines, reaching the colon intact. Thus, it ‘Resists’ digestion and you don’t see spikes in blood glucose or insulin levels. When you think of ‘starch’ you probably think of white fluffy bread, white potatoes or processed foods and you usually try to avoid this types of foods. These types of starches break down into sugars which raises your blood sugar and insulin levels.
Resistant Starch does the opposite, instead of digesting in the stomach or small intestine and rapidly breaking down into sugars it escapes digestion and moves its way to the large intestine and colon and feeds the good bacteria (Probiotics) in your gut.
Additionally, it offers other health benefits as it can prevent colon cancer and promote colon health, help treat and prevent diabetes, promote weight loss, lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, increase absorption of minerals, especially calcium and improve overall digestion.
Zuvii is certified USDA Organic by Quality Certification Services (QCS) and also certified under the Celiac Support Association. All Zuvii products are Non-GMO Project Verified.
You can save even more when you shop Zuvii products at LuckyVitamin.com. No code needed at checkout to save an extra 15% on all items of this new brand as savings are automatically applied.
Lucky Vitamin has added an innovative and super cool brand that can help you grow your own avocados: AvoSeedo.
AvoSeedo is a revolutionary product that is simply the perfect tool to grow avocado trees at home. This small plastic bowl features an indentation with a hole in it. A single avocado seed can be inserted with the flat-end facing down. Afterwards, AvoSeedo can be placed in a sufficiently large, water-filled pot. Due to its low weight and high displacement, it will remain at the surface all the time and, as the water level lowers, AvoSeedo will sink accordingly.
With AvoSeedo, you can significantly raise the success rate when it comes to avocado germination. Without any risk, you can decrease the watering intervals drastically. Only from time to time you will have to check the water level of the pot containing AvoSeedo plus avocado seed. Compared to the original toothpick method, there’s another advantage: the avocado seed doesn’t need to be perforated, reducing the risk of damage and thus, failed germination efforts.
AvoSeedo is simple, easy to use, and the demanding germination period can now be mastered with almost no effort, giving your new trees an edge right from the beginning.
You can save even more when you shop AvoSeedo products at LuckyVitamin.com. No code needed at checkout to save an extra 15% on all items of this new brand as savings are automatically applied.
Lucky Vitamin is adding another top quality brand of health food products to our customers: Sophie’s Kitchen
Sophie’s Kitchen offers a unique and revolutionary product that can be used in vegan and vegetarian plant-based diets. Sophie’s Kitchen creates great-tasting, plant-based seafood products which are delicious and are a great sustainable alternative to seafood from the ocean.
The company believes easy access to delicious, plant-based alternatives will help more people create healthier meals for themselves and the community. These revolutionary, ready-to-eat, vegan and vegetarian plant-based food products are perfect for children of all ages who can enjoy the unique flavors of the ocean without being tempted to eat precious fish.
The current dependence on dwindling foods from the sea should be a concern. The Japanese have traditionally used konjac as a health food with a high source of fiber, and contains very few calories. Also known as Elephant Yam Root, amorphophallus konjac has been used across Asia for centuries, as the base for many products. Asian culture use traditional land and sea plants, such as highly nutritious seaweed, as the foundation of their philosophy and their products.
Sophie’s Kitchen gourmet plant-based seafood meals are designed to be prepared with love, plated with purpose and devoured with joy. A little goes a long way, so add that lemon slice, simmer with Cajun seasoning and garnish with arugula to create a beautiful dish inside and out.
You can save even more when you shop Sophie’s Kitchen products at LuckyVitamin.com. No code needed at checkout to save an extra 15% on all items of this new brand as savings are automatically applied.
The coconut’s status as one of those elusive “good fats” has skyrocketed in recent years, with the tropical stone fruit being repurposed as a dairy substitute (think coconut milk and butter), beauty product (hair masks, skin lotion) and household cleaner among countless other uses. Coconut oil even has an SPF of 8! Check out some additional ways that the coconut can be added to your health, beauty and healing regimens.
According to many studies, lauric acid—a protective type of fatty acid—has been linked with improved cholesterol levels and heart health. Because coconuts contain minerals important for circulation and controlling blood flow, coconut milk is also useful for lowering blood pressure and keeping blood vessels flexible, elastic and free from plaque buildup.
The Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) in coconuts can help rid your gut of harmful microorganisms. Coconut oil, which can be used in baking and as an alternative to butter and oil for sautéing, is considered an anti-inflammatory food. Those anti-inflammatory benefits help heal injury to the digestive tract in patients who suffer from diseases like Crohn’s. Finally, coconut fats fight candida yeast that lives within the digestive tract.
It’s no wonder that coconut products make the perfect natural additions to add to your beauty regimen. Naturally antibacterial and antifungal, coconut oil is an excellent body moisturizer and it penetrates hair better than other “typical” hair conditioners. However, be careful not to overdo it when applying it to your skin. Coconut oil is comedogenic, meaning it may clog pores.
Monolaurin and Monocaprin are the naturally occurring fatty acids in coconuts than can boost the immune system. For an example of what they can do, consider that Monolaurin is found in breast milk as a way for mothers to boost the immune strength of babies.
Compared to the long-chain fatty acids found in most of your diet, the medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil are metabolized a bit differently, heading from your digestive tract straight to the liver. There they are converted to energy which helps nourish and rejuvenate the body.
Lucky Vitamin is happy to present a new brand of protein bars to our customers: SimpleMD.
SimpleMD offers a variety of protein bars based on the Mediterranean Diet which can help people begin to adopt this unique and healthy diet. The company believes that protein bars are just part of a bigger nutrition plan. Eating sensible, Mediterranean-inspired meals will make all the difference in reaching or maintaining your health goals.
SimpleMD was founded by a cardiologist on the premise that the key to better health is simplicity. Basic, honest, accessible ingredients can make up a healthful snack or meal, and those ingredients can taste good and be good.
SimpleMD fully believes the Mediterranean Diet represents nutritional goodness and its protein bars can be part of a daily regimen that embraces the principles of this unique diet. A nutritional regimen that dramatically improves your health, the Mediterranean Diet promotes long-term health that is connected to a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease, certain cancers and Alzheimer’s disease.
SimpleMD protein bars are made with extra virgin olive oil and red wine. These ingredients are the heroes of the Mediterranean Diet, delivering a range of irrefutable health benefits but also happen to give these bars their distinctive and delicious flavor.
You can save even more when you shop SimpleMD products at LuckyVitamin.com. No code needed at checkout to save an extra 15% on all items of this new brand as savings are automatically applied.
Trends come and go but when something that is getting trendy is able to provide health benefits and taste delicious in so many different ways, you got a potential long-term hot item in the making.
That’s the case of turmeric (curcumin). Nicknamed the “Spice of Life”, the health benefits turmeric offers can be attributed to curcumin, a well-studied bioactive compound. It seems like this bright yellow Indian spice is getting more popular every day. Known to help reduce pain, turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce swelling and inflammation. Turmeric supplements have been used to treat osteoarthritis as well as joint pain and can be a natural replacement to drugs such as ibuprofen.
Additionally, the compound curcumin in turmeric can efficiently help to reduce digestive issues such as bloating, IBS, and colitis. Plus, these same anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and digestive properties may enable turmeric to support the liver, the body’s natural detox system.
Since turmeric provide all these health benefits, people are getting creative to add this amazing spicy into their diets. Often used in culinary as ground spice, turmeric has been a very popular tea too. Now, turmeric is getting fancy and is being used in juices, smoothies, golden lattes, and many other creative ways. For example, adding a little bit of turmeric to scramble eggs has become a staple of a healthy breakfast. Turmeric soup is another great way to add it to your diet, particularly if you enjoy spicy soups. Lastly, turmeric is one of the best all-natural food colorings and can be used in a variety of ways.
If breakfast is the most important meal of the deal, should we start with something that is really nutritious and healthy? Yes, of course and oats are one of the greatest breakfast foods
Oats are a whole-grain food, known scientifically as avena sativa. Commonly eaten for breakfast as oatmeal, which is made by boiling oats in water or milk, oats are very nutritious and contain a good source of carbs and fiber, including the powerful fiber beta-glucan. Oats also contain more protein and fat than most grains.
Also often included in muffins, granola bars, cookies and other baked goods, oats are loaded with important vitamins such as B1, B5, B6 and niacin as well as minerals such as manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, zinc, and iron. Whole oats are high in antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds called polyphenols. Most notable is a unique group of antioxidants called avenanthramides, which are almost solely found in oats.
Avenanthramides may help lower blood pressure levels by increasing the production of nitric oxide. This gas molecule helps dilate blood vessels and leads to better blood flow. In addition, avenanthramides have anti-inflammatory and anti-itching effects.
Oats contain many powerful antioxidants which may help reduce blood pressure and provide other benefits. For example, it contains large amounts of beta-glucan, a type of soluble fiber. Beta-glucan partially dissolves in water and forms a thick, gel-like solution in the gut. It helps reduce LDL and total cholesterol levels as well as blood sugar levels and insulin response. It can also help promote healthy gut bacteria in the digestive tract and increase feelings of fullness.