When I think of peppermint, I think of the small red and white mints you get when leaving a restaurant. But did you know that using peppermint oil can do more than just give you minty fresh breath? As I’m reading more into the use of peppermint essential oil, I’m thinking it’s a necessity in the medicine cabinet. Why? Read on to find out the best and most beneficial uses for this healing oil.
- Colds and Congestion. The menthol in the peppermint plant provides a cooling sensation and eases discomfort which makes this oil particularly helpful in providing relief from the common cold. It’s often included in natural chest rubs to help with congestion, but can also be easily made at home. To make an at-home chest rub, mix a carrier oil (i.e. almond oil) and peppermint oil, since peppermint oil can be too intense on its own.
- Digestion & Upset Stomach. Of all the things peppermint oil is known for, digestion help is probably the most well-known. Help curb feelings of nausea, upset stomach or motion sickness with this herb. It can be massaged onto problem areas such as the abdomen, but it’s also easy to digest with peppermint tea.
- Headache. If you are prone to headaches, this is a great addition to keep at your desk or in your purse. Use a small amount of carrier oil (i.e. almond oil) with a drop of peppermint oil and rub on temples, forehead and the back of the neck. The cooling sensation of menthol can work wonders!
- Energy. Peppermint oil can help improve mental clarity and energy levels which is perfect for those mid-afternoon slumps. Instead of reaching for the coffee, trying rubbing a drop of peppermint oil under the nose for alertness, applying to the back of the neck and shoulders for energy levels, or diffuse into a room to improve concentration.
- Sore Muscles. Peppermint oil has been found to be a natural painkiller and muscle relaxant, especially for sore backs, muscles, and cramps. It’s a great ingredient to include in natural massage oil or even in the bath to decrease stiffness and promote relaxation.