They surround us every day and many of us don’t know what they are or where they came from. They lurk in our supermarkets waiting for us to consume them. Genetically modified organisms or “GMOs
” as they’re called, are living organisms whose genetic material has been altered in a way that doesn’t occur naturally. But what does that mean? In simpler terms, it means the food has been altered by scientists. For example, apples that are less prone to browning, plants that are genetically altered to be more resistant to insects and plants that contain more nutrients.
More than 60 nations require labeling of genetically modified foods, however the US isn’t one of them. In fact, GMOs are in as much as 80% of conventional processed foods in the United States. GMO ingredients can now be found in foods, baby formulas, beverages, personal care products, supplements and much more.
Benefits to Avoiding GMO Foods
While some scientists and researchers believe GMO crops are safe and may have their own benefits, this might not be the case. Many of the foods engineered for GMOs worldwide are engineered for herbicide tolerance. As a result, there have been large increases to the number of herbicides applied to GMO crops. The most common herbicide used on genetically modified crops is Glyphosate, which has been labeled as a “probable human carcinogen” by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. Several studies have also found that GMO foods can harm the kidneys, liver, heart and other organs, as well as introduce new unanticipated allergies. These crops have also caused problems for farmers, including herbicide-tolerant “superweeds”, compromised soil quality, and crops that have shown an increase in susceptibility to disease.
High-Risk Crops for Being Genetically Modified:
– Sugar Beets
– Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash
Hidden Ingredients That May Contain GMOs:
– Amino Acids
– Vitamin C
– High Fructose Corn Syrup
– Xanthan Gum
– Monosodium Glutamate
Tips to Avoid GMOs:
– Look for foods that are Non-GMO Project verified
– Choose foods that are Certified Organic or “100% Organic” as they cannot include any GMO ingredients
– Know your ingredients and avoid the at-risk foods & ingredients
– Dairy products can be derived from cows injected with GM bovine growth hormone; look for labels with no rBGH, rBST or artificial hormones
– Most frozen fruits and vegetables are non-GMO unless from one of the high-risk crops
– Check packaged foods such as breakfast cereals, chips, baking mixes and protein bars to see if they GMO ingredients
LuckyVitamin makes it easier for you to find non-GMO products! We carry over 3,000 Non-GMO products you can easily search for using our “Specialty” tab. We’re also a proud sponsor of the Non-GMO Project!