5 Tips for Holistic Pet Care
- Quality & Quantity of Food – If YOU eat organic shouldn’t your furry family members, too? Look for foods that are grain-free – studies have linked grain-based diets to a host of feline health issues – as well as lacking artificial colors and preservatives.
- Bond with some Omegas – Boost your pet’s health with Omega-3 fatty acids. Supplementing Omegas in your pet’s diet helps them maintain healthy skin, coat, joints, and overall development. Our tip: Rub a dollop of coconut oil between your hands and let your pet lick 2/3rds of it off. Work the remaining oil through your pet’s fur for a sleek, shiny coat.
- Natural Alternatives for Pain – Like us, as dogs and cats age their joints lose mobility, and in some cases, can lead to chronic pain. Glucosamine, MSM and Chondroitin are easily absorbed natural substances that may stimulate the production of proteoglycans which help maintain the health and resiliency of joints and connective tissues.
- Travel Easily – For both cats and dogs, travel can be an exhausting experience. For an upset stomach try ginger, peppermint or catnip. For anxiety, try skullcap or valerian. Other holistic remedies include Bach’s Rescue Remedy or two pellets of Arnica Montana 30C, taken 30 minutes prior to travel.
- Exercise – The obesity epidemic hasn’t been limited to just those of us with two legs. Our four-legged friends have been hit just as hard. Sunshine fresh air and at least 20 minutes of exercise are imperative for your most pet breeds, especially dogs. If your access to the outdoors is limited, try to keep your pets physically and mentally stimulated by introducing new and challenging toys and games on the regular.