The perfect gluten-free, wintertime comfort food that can easily be made paleo-friendly! It’s super easy to make and is the perfect warming meal on a cold winter day.
1 lb lean ground lamb, or beef 450g
1 tbsp olive oil
3 large carrots medium dice
1 large onion chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp gluten-free Worcestershire sauce (omit for paleo)
2 cups gluten-free beef stock
4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
2 tbsp butter substitute
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (omit for paleo)
salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion & carrots & gently saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lamb or beef & brown over a medium heat, stirring the whole time. Spoon off excess fat if necessary.
- Add the tomato purée & Worcestershire sauce (if using), then fry for a couple more minutes. Add the beef stock, bring to a simmer, then cover pan & cook for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes uncover the pan and continue to cook for 20 more minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, boil the peeled potatoes in lightly salted water for 10-15 minutes until soft, but not soggy. Drain, then mash together with the butter substitute.
- Add two tablespoons of arrowroot to a cup with a 3-4 tablespoons of cold water & mix well. Remove the pan from the heat & add half of the arrowroot mixture to the meat, stirring to avoid lumps & allowing a few minutes to thicken up.
- Put the cooked meat mixture into an ovenproof dish, add the mashed potatoes on top and spread out with a fork. Add shredded cheese (omit for Paleo).
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the top starts to color & juice is beginning to leak around the edges.