Want the best advice on skin, hair, and nails? Follow these simple tips from The American Academy of Dermatology, one of the largest organizations of dermatologists (over 18,000 dermatologists) in the world.
Best Tips for Your Hair
- Match frequency of shampooing to your hair type.
If your scalp is oily, wash it once a day. For chemically treated hair, wash it less frequently. As you get older, your scalp makes less oil so you may not need to shampoo as often.
- Concentrate shampoo on the scalp.
When washing your hair, concentrate on cleaning primarily the scalp, rather than washing the entire length of hair. Washing only your hair can create flyaway hair that is dull and coarse.
- Use conditioner after every shampoo.
Using a conditioner can significantly improve the look of damaged or weathered hair by increasing shine, decreasing static electricity, improving strength, and offering some protection from harmful UV rays.
- Choose a shampoo and conditioner formulated specifically for your hair type.
Best Tips for Your Skin
- Apply sunscreen when outdoors.
Use a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection, SPF 30 (or higher), and water resistance.
- Resist the urge to scrub your skin clean.
Never, ever, scrub your skin. It irritates your skin and can actually worsen any skin condition, including acne.
- Wash your face gently.
Wet your face with lukewarm water, apply a mild cleanser, and use a gentle, circular motion with your fingertips. Rinse and gently pat your face dry with a clean towel.
- Always wash your face when waking, before bed, and after sweating.
Best Tips for Your Nails
- Keep nails clean and dry.
- Cut nails straight across, then “round off.”
Use sharp nail scissors or clippers, then round the nails slightly at the tips for maximum strength.
- Keep nails shaped and free of snags by filing with an emery board.
- Do not remove the cuticle as it can damage your nails.
What to do when all else fails!
Tried everything, and nothing seems to work. You’re not alone. Fortunately, skin, hair, and nail researchers have identified a compound that’s been clinically proven to increase skin elasticity 89%, thicken and strengthen hair by 13%, and strengthen and clarify nails dramatically. The compound “choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid” (ch-OSA®) can be found in a product called BioSil® Hair, Skin, Nails from Natural Factors. BioSil is one of supermodel Christie Brinkley’s secrets to looking youthful, beautiful, and healthy!